Knoweldge sharing, capacity building and training
Skat undertakes capacity building and training. These range from international conferences, workshops and courses for decision-makers, senior managers and policy-makers to hands-on support to communities and technical operatives.
Skat's services include:
- Technical training. Communities are trained in the installation and maintenance of hand-pumps; manufacturers are trained in production techniques.
- Quality-management training. Pump manufacturers and inspection agencies are trained, respectively, in internal and external quality control.
- Support to training institutions. Skat collaborates with Swiss universities, providing technical and development tuition, and supports vocational training centres in developing countries.
- Training-of-trainers. Government and NGO employees are taught to train community construction and maintenance workers.
- Organisation and facilitation of workshops, seminars and conferences. Skat takes a lead role in organising events such as the annual Aguasan workshop and the recent Collaborative Working Group on Solid Waste Management conference in India.
- Organisation of study tours. Skat has hosted groups from Bhutan and Ukraine who came to Switzerland to learn about the decentralisation of service provision.
Skat’s staff has broad experience in capacity building with regard to renewable energies, especially mini and micro hydropower (personal references):
- Training of different target groups (energy users, trainers, utility staff, engineers etc.) with regard to their different focuses of interests: resource assessment, planning and implementation of energy systems, operation and management, etc.
- Organisation of workshops, study tours etc.