Transfer of technologies and approaches
Skat systematically identifies successes and failures, and lessons learnt. Experiences are collected, documented and disseminated. New approaches are developed and best practises are defined.
Skat has developed innovative technologies that have been successfully applied in the sectors of water, sanitation, and construction. For example:
- Improved hand-pump designs and specification: Skat contributed to the development of numerous pumps, including the Afridev, the India Mk. II/III, and the rope pump.
- The Micro-Concrete tile: This is an innovative design that provides a roof tile that is light, impervious and cheap.
Skat has established systems for knowledge management that enhance the sharing of ideas and experiences between partners on all continents. For example:
- Skat helps organisations to analyse their information requirements and to build systems for collection, storage and distribution of information.
- Sustainable Building and Assessment Methodology. Skat worked with Development Alternatives (Delhi) and Neeti Solutions (Pune) to develop this tool for assessing the sustainability of proposed building projects.
Since establishing the “Energy and Climate” focal area, Skat now disposes of specialists and is linked in networks experienced in:
- Turbine and controller technologies for micro, mini and small hydropower systems
- Development of training material like presentations, films, posters, manuals etc.